Before our first session, give your insurance company a call. Here are some questions about your coverage that might be helpful to ask:
* Do I have coverage to see a behavioral health provider who is “out-of-network”?
* Do I have “outpatient mental health benefits”?
If the answer is YES for both questions, then also ask:
* Do I need authorization for the visit(s), and if so, how do I get authorization?
* Do I have an out-of-pocket “deductible” (a sum you’ll have to pay before your company will begin reimbursing you)? If so, what’s the amount?
* How much of my deductible have I met for the current year?
* What percentage of the provider’s actual fee does my plan cover?
NOTE: Some companies limit the amount they will reimburse for a service to a percentage of a capped fee that they determine is “reasonable and customary.” These capped fees are often substantially lower than the provider’s actual fee.